Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Lesson In Precipitation




When my brother (Z) and I were in elementary school our mother had to leave for work before we left for school. We met two of our friends (Cheese and Amp) at the top of our street and walked the half mile to our beloved Denver Elementary. Like most kids did, we had rules. Rule #1 – the boys were NOT allowed to talk to Cheese and I. Rule #2 – the boys had to walk at LEAST 3 sidewalk squares in front of us as to not alert any other kids that we KNEW them. Rule #3 – if we couldn’t see the flag when we reached the top of the hill we got to go home. Yesterday morning Baby Girl would’ve LOVED to have that last rule cause let me tell you, I’ve never seen fog like that before in my life.

I woke up yesterday morning…..late. I got Baby Girl up and moving and I went to Snow Boy out. I walked out into the backyard and was quite surprised. It would seem that a major fog had rolled in and eaten my backyard! I could only see about 5 feet in front of me so of course……..I went and got my camera.

I took a few shots (see above) and came in to tell Baby Girl to look outside. She had also never seen fog like this and spent the next 5 minutes arguing with me that it was “probably snow”. I know, living in Memphis she really has never seen a good snow storm and was convinced that this HAD to be a blizzard. Trying to convince her otherwise was futile so I just said, “You’re right Baby Girl, make sure you bundle up”. About 15 minutes later when she emerged from her room she had on her heavy coat, scarf and gloves and informed me that we hadn’t bought her snow suit yet and she was probably going to get in trouble because she’s supposed wear snow pants and boots to school on snow days. I told her I would write her teacher a note begging for forgiveness.

The drama continued until she stepped out on the porch and realized that it was 72 degrees. Do you have ANY idea how mad it makes MY child to be WRONG?!?! For a minute I really thought she was going to wear all of that garb just so she wouldn’t have to say I was right. I was still laughing when the bus pulled up. Bless her heart.




4 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

just wait till the REAL snow comes! wont she be thrilled for the first day or two?
thanks for the laugh i look forward to it !
laura

Julie said...

My daughter wants to wear shorts all the time. We had snow yesterday and it made her terribly mad that she had to put on pants, they itched her legs. Poor thing.
Enjoy the warm weather.

Anonymous said...

if you have ever seen the movie THE FOG you will understand this.
"Don't go into the fog. There is something in the fog" Just remember if you see lights in the fog RUN!!!!!!

Amanda

Unknown said...

Is that a white picket fence I see? Looks like a charming place you've got there. Looks a lot better than the houses we had on Maggie Woods Place.